What effects has technology had on your life? From air conditioning to smartphones to live-streaming worship, our lives are filled with technology that no biblical author ever knew. Some of the ways we use technology have been good for us, and some of the ways have been bad, but technology is never neutral.
The study will explore the ways technology shapes us while looking to the Bible for guidance. Instead of being a live study, each week the pastor’s presentation will be available for you to watch on your own time, and you will be invited to respond to the presentation and to one another online. (That’s right, we’re using a different technology … let’s see how it shapes us.)
The videos will be made available each Wednesday morning in Lent beginning the week after Ash Wednesday and can be seen on Facebook or on Good Shepherd’s website.
If you’ve attended in the past, you’ll automatically receive an email on Wednesdays with the link to begin, but if you’re new, click the link below.Fill out the form to join the study!
Here’s a running list of books and other resources I’ve used in this study…
- Atske, Sara. 2022. “Teens, Social Media and Technology 2022.” Pew Research Center: Internet, Science & Tech. August 2022. https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2022/08/10/teens-social-media-and-technology-2022/.
- Crouch, Andy. 2017. The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place. Barna.
- ———. 2022. The Life We’re Looking for: Reclaiming Relationship in a Technological World. First Edition. The Crown Publishing Group.
- Dyer, John. 2022. From the Garden to the City: The Redeeming and Corrupting Power of Technology. Second. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications.
- Forde, Gerhard O. 1972. Where God Meets Man: Luther’s down-to-Earth Approach to the Gospel. Minneapolis: Augsburg Pub. House.
- Grummitt, Anna. 2022. “Devices Vs Instruments – Centre for Public Christianity.” December 2022. https://www.publicchristianity.org/devices-vs-instruments/.
- Kathryn Jezer-Morton. 2023. “New Dads: U Good?” 2023. https://linkst.thecut.com/view/6309326106c1220f75499813ia7yk.27t/c1e242a6.
- Michael Lawrence. 2006. “Steve Jobs, ‘Computers Are Like a Bicycle for Our Minds.’ – Michael LawrenceFilms.” June 2006. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob_GX50Za6c.
- Root, Andrew. 2013. The Relational Pastor: Sharing in Christ by Sharing Ourselves. InterVarsity Press.
- Vogels, Emily A., Risa Gelles-Watnick, and Navid Massarat. 2022. “Teens, Social Media and Technology2022.” Pew Research Center: Internet, Science & Tech. https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2022/08/10/teens-social-media-and-technology-2022/.